Why did I have dizziness and a sudden blackout?

Wednesday, 21 January 2009
Answered by: Dr. Anil Safaya
Senior Specialist and HOD,
Department of Otolaryngology,Ibri Regional Referral Hospital
Sulltanate of Oman

Q. I am a 30 years old man and had a sudden blackout with dizziness for the past few days but have no headache or fever. I got an ECG and a brain CT scan done and both were found normal; cervical spine x-ray was also normal. The ENT specialist said that some ear problem could be causing dizziness or blackout sensation. Now he has cleared the earwax and asked me to meet him again next week. What diseases could cause such a sudden blackout, blurred vision, sudden hearing loss and lack of concentration?

A.  The triad of symptoms don't directly point to the balance organ in the ear, in fact it gives an indication that there is some problem with the blood circulation to the inner ear and possibly the brain. Blood vessel spasm, thyroid disease, anaemia, viral fever, diabetes, blood pressure medications are some of the common ailments that can cause these symptoms.