Why do I have a tingling sensation in my legs?

Tuesday, 21 October 2008
Answered by: Dr. M. Sumra
Consultant Neurologist
Neurology Residency at Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
USA

Q. I am a 30 years old man and I feel a tingling sensation in both my legs up till the knees when I fold my legs and sit on the floor. It becomes difficult to stand up. I am having this problem since the last 2 years. Please advise.

A.  This could be one of two things. It could just be that the way you are sitting is putting some of the nerves supplying your legs under pressure, resulting in the symptoms. If you think about it, if you lean on your elbows for a sufficient period of time, you do experience numbness in your hands; same if you sit in a particular position for some time, perhaps your foot might feel dead until you get up and give it a bit of a shake. That doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong. You are putting nerves under pressure and the result are the symptoms. At the same time it is possible that what you are experiencing is indicative of one of more nerves supplying your legs being under pressure at all times, your act of folding your legs exacerbating that pressure and leading to your symptoms. What you might do is consult with a neurologist. There are tests that can be done (nerve conduction studies and electromyography), which would be useful in determining whether there is a problems with the principal nervous supply of your legs. I would first let the neurologist get a detailed account of your symptoms, and perform an examination. He/She will then be able to either offer you reassurance, or further investigations in order to get to the bottom of what is going on.