When does the egg release after a follicle rupture?

Tuesday, 08 April 2008
Answered by: Dr. Abha Majumdar
Consultant in IVF and Reproductive Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 28 years old and was taking clomiphene citrate 50 mg for five days, as prescribed by my doctor. The doctor conducted ultrasounds on alternate days to check the follicle size. It was 11, 15, 19, and on the last day of my scan, he said that the follicle had ruptured. How long will the egg take to release after a follicle rupture for me to conceive?

A.  The egg releases immediately after the rupture of a follicle, and a pregnancy is detected 15 days later by a pregnancy test and by missing your periods.