Is it safe to take Neurobion forte for a year?

Saturday, 01 March 2008

Q. I am a 23 years old female. I was told by a doctor that my body is deficient in vitamin B12. He prescribed Neurobion forte to be taken once a day for almost a year. Does this medicine have any side effects? Is it safe to take it for such a long period?

A.  If at all your body is lacking in vitamin B-12, then only this vitamin should have been prescribed which is available under the trade name of Methycobal that contains 500mcg of B-12. You need to take Methycobal for just two months. Neurobion forte contains just 15mcg of B-12 which is not adequate to correct deficiency states. Besides Neurobion was banned several years ago; in order to evade the ban order, additional ingredients of hardly any clinical value (nicotinamide and d-panethenol) were added and the name was slightly changed to Neurobion forte. In no advanced country such a combination is permitted.