Should I increase the dose of Pantocid to twice daily?

Wednesday, 07 November 2007
Answered by: Dr. J.B. Dilawari
Consultant Gastroenterologist,
Inverclyde Royal Hospital, Greenock,
UK

Q. I am 31 years old. I am suffering from severe gastric problems and chest pain. I have been recently prescribed Pantocid 40 mg once a day, but the relief is not complete. Should I increase the dose to twice a day? I got my ECG done twice and also the treadmill test. The reports are normal. Please advise.

A.  You are only 31 years old. I do not think you should increase the dose of Pantocid 40 mg, but increasing the dose for a few weeks will not harm you. I would also advise you to have your stomach tested for Helicobacter pylori infection by doing stool antigen for Helicobacter. This test is quite specific if the patient is currently infected. If this test is not available, you could have an antibody test done, which is not as reliable as a stool test or endoscopy procedure.