How can uterine hypoplasia be treated?

Saturday, 09 April 2011
Answered by: Prof Mini Sood
Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology,University Technology Mara,Malaysia

Q. My 16 years old daughter has uterine hypoplasia due to hypogonadism (all hormones). She was prescribed Familia but she is reluctant to take it. Kindly let me know other possible treatment and prognosis.

A.  She will need a complete gynaecology and endocrine workup to determine cause and possibility of restoring normal menses. In case there is no major chromosome defect, the treatment with long-term oestrogens can improve uterine size and achieve menses later artificially. Chance of pregnancy depends on the cause found and response to treatment.