Are the regestrone tablets safe?

Monday, 02 February 2004
Answered by: Mini Sood
Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology,
University College of Medical Sciences,

Q. I am a married woman, roughly 2 years back my pregnancy was terminated since it was a vesicular mole. Further to that I was asked to wait for 2 years to have a child. Couple of months back, we have been asked to go ahead and we are trying for a child. Now to attend a religious function I want to get my periods postponed. I am presently in such a state that I don't know if I shall conceive this month or my periods will fall. In such a scenario I've been advised to take regestrone tablet for postponement of periods, in case I don't conceive. Please tell me if it is ok to take this tablet. Are there any side effects? Please tell the merits and demerits of taking this tablet with respect to my condition.

A.  It is pretty safe to take these tablets as there are virtually no side effects in the dose prescribed. It will further have the advantage of contraception if you continue for a longer time along with some low dose oestrogen preparation. In case you decide to stop then you will have the period as desired. Slight bloating may occur occasionally.