Can I take Omez D for acidity?

Tuesday, 10 November 2009
Answered by: Dr Chandra M Gulhati
Editor, MIMS, New Delhi

Q. I am a 52 years old man who takes Omez D for acidity daily at night for the last year. I also take Deplat 75 and Atorlip 5 daily. I had heart trouble and was treated with stent 6 years back. I hope Omez D does not interact with my heart medicines and hope it is not harmful if taken for a long period. Please advise.

A.  Instead of taking anti-acidity medicines for prolonged periods, the cause of acidity (such as hiatus hernia, reflux oesophagitis, H. pylori infection etc.) should be determined and treated. Omez D contains two medicines: omeprazole (for acidity) and domperidone (for nausea). First, if your problem is just acidity, then there is no point in taking a combination medicine since more medicines can cause more side effects. Deplatt contains clopidogrel, which makes the blood thin. There are two problems with omeprazole (Omez) when taken with clopidogrel (Deplatt): first, it reduces the effect and benefit of clopidogrel (Deplatt) and secondly, it increases the risk of acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and death in patients already suffering from heart ailments. Hence omeprazole should not be taken by patients who are on clopidogrel.