Does alcohol affect SGPT and SGOT levels?

Thursday, 08 July 2010
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Saigal
Consultant Gastroenterologist,Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,New Delhi

Q. I am a 31 years old male weighing 93 kg. I was diagnosed with abdominal tuberculosis 15 months back. After taking medicines for a year, I have recovered from tuberculosis. But for the last three months, my SGPT & SGOT level started fluctuating. I smoke also. My doctor has suggested me to take Ursodeoxycholic (500 mg) for three months. I took it for a month, after that my SGPT level came to normal. So, I stopped taking prescribed medication, but now my SGPT and SGOT level has been increasing. How can it be treated? Moreover, two years back, I used to be a regular drinker, drinking 2-3 pegs daily. My HCV test came negative.

A.  I note that you have been treated for abdominal tuberculosis recently. Now your concern is that you have raised SGOT & SGPT. As your abdominal tuberculosis treatment has been stopped a year back, it is unlikely that you have drug-induced hepatotoxicity. As you consume alcohol regularly, it is possible that it may be the cause of your deranged LFT. In addition, I note that you are overweight, which can also affect your liver. You need a thorough evaluation to find out the cause of your liver problem including an ultrasound, viral hepatitis markers, autoimmune markers, etc. You must stop alcohol, and can continue taking UDCA meanwhile.