When can I stop taking anti-depressant drugs?

Friday, 19 September 2008

Q. I am a 24 years old boy and was diagnosed with anxiety neurosis last year and have been taking Nexito 5 mg, Manoprolol 20 mg twice, Zee 0.5 mg once daily. Now after a year, with slight improvement, I have reduced the dosage to 2.5 mg Nexito, 10 mg Inderal twice and 25 mg Revotril daily. But I was not feeling normal like before, so I started taking 10 mg Nexito and 0.25 Lonazep daily after consulting the psychiatrist. Now I am feeling better but I still feel fatigued and dull and feel unbalanced, while walking. Please suggest some exercises to over come anxiety and panic attacks. When will these medications be discontinued?

A.  Nexito (escitalopram) is indicated in depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and panic attacks. Use of Nexito can lead to suicidal tendency, worsening of depression, sexual dysfunction, fatigue, etc. Lonazep, Rivotril and Zee are identical; all the three contain exactly the same medicine called clonazepam. These medicines are primarily meant for controlling epilepsy though they have anti-depressant property also. Its side effects include ataxia (imbalance while standing or walking, failure of muscular coordination), impaired alertness, fatigue, muscle weakness and liver disorders. It would be noticed that some of your problems are due to side effects of drugs. With will power and help of Yoga, you should get rid of drugs.