Dr MS Valiathan completed his M.B.B.S. from Kerala University in 1956. He also holds the following degrees:
- F.R.C.S. Royal College of Surgeons England 1960
- F.R.C.S. Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh 1960
- Ch.M. University of Liverpool U.K. 1962 (Master of Surgery)
- F.R.C.S. Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canada 1970 (Cardiovascular & Thoracic Surgery)
He received Cardiac Surgical training in the John Hopkins and Georgetown University hospitals, U.S. He has Served as Professor of Cardiac Surgery at the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences and Technology for twenty years.
His special interests include:
- Heart diseases in children: valvular heart disease.
- Led a group which developed a tilting disc heart valve and other cardiovascular devices which are commercially produced.
- Published a monograph and over 100 scientific papers on cardiac topics.
- Professional contributions recognised by election to many academies in India and abroad and by the award of the Hunterian Professorship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England.