Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why does my son behave like a girl?

Why does my son behave like a girl?

Q: My son is 6 years old. He has a fascination for dolls, dresses meant for girls, make-up, and hairstyles. He loves playing with dolls and doing their hair, etc. He likes to watch all the women shows on T.V. and prefers company of girls, although now he is in a boys' school. Such behaviour leaves me worried about how his personality would be as he grows up. How should I deal with him?

A:You should provide a variety of toys and games for your son. A ball to bounce is not related to a sexual preference. You could also guide his TV watching and put on programmes meant for children(cartoons, animal shows, etc.). Encourage him to do crafts where he can use his hands and create beautiful objects. Let him listen to music. If at a later stage he continues to have a preference for girlish things, it is not necessarily a cause for worry. You could consult a friendly counsellor or psychologist for further advice.