Falling hair

Q: I have a problem of falling hair since the last 2 years. I suspect it is because of the water quality in Bangalore. My father is bald, so it may also be hereditary. Kindly advise.

A:I am afraid there is precious that one can do about this male pattern baldness even though certain local applications and internal medicines, of doubtful value are now available. I do not think I can advise you about these via email. You should go and consult a local dermatologist in Bangalore where you say you are normally based. One thing is certain: no water or its chemical constituents have anything to do with your hair fall. If you are willing to accept it it is the best possible thing. You are in good company including your father, Prince Philip and Prince Charles. Incidentally this is the age at which you begin to lose hair, so quit worrying.