Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Dandruff on the scalp

Dandruff on the scalp

Q: I am 25 years old and suffering from dandruff for last 10 years. I took treatment from specialists and it got cured for some time but it is back again. Please suggest me a better treatment.

A:Dandruff is not, in most situations, a disease but collection of excessive scales on the scalp because of normal shedding off the skin that is happening all over the skin surface. For some cultural reasons there is a feeling in our country that scalp should not be washed regularly. This results in excessive collection of scales even when the shedding is normal. In some situations there may genuinely be excessive formation of scales mainly because of a mild fungal infection, for which a short-term treatment can be prescribed. I think the doctors you have been consulting would have advised you whether your scaling is within the normal range or is excessive. The first thing to do is to wash your hair regularly. If after that the scales persist you may ask your physician for advice.