Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Children - viral fever

Children - viral fever

Q: My 5 year old daughter had an attack of viral fever with congestion in her chest last week. Though the doctor prescribed antibiotic Clarithrocine, her fever went up next day. She was administered Betnasol drops for 3 days and her fever subsided. She is feeling very weak now. Does Betnasol being a steroid have any side effect for a five year old child? Please give me your expert views.

A:Short courses of steroids are administered to infants and children often in acute emergencies to control wheezing attacks as in acute asthma and rarely when fever is very high to prevent febrile convulsions. The doses are administered generally for a few days. They do not produce any subsequent reactions or hormone-related problems in children. Her weakness is due to her illness and most probably not due to steroids.