HYPERTENSION (HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE)

 
  
Page 3 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  

What is the cause?

Written by : DoctorNDTV Team

In 90 to 95 percent of high blood pressure cases, there's no identifiable cause. This type of high blood pressure, called essential hypertension or primary hypertension, tends to develop gradually over many years. The other 5 percent to 10 percent of high blood pressure cases are caused by an underlying condition. This type of high blood pressure, called secondary hypertension, tends to appear suddenly and cause higher blood pressure than does primary hypertension. Various conditions can lead to secondary hypertension, including kidney abnormalities, tumours of the adrenal gland or certain congenital heart defects. Certain medications including birth control pills, cold remedies, decongestants, over-the-counter pain relievers and some prescription drugs may cause secondary hypertension. Various illicit drugs, including cocaine and amphetamines can also increase blood pressure.

  
Page 3 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  
 
-------------------------------- Advertisement -----------------------------------