Can I use alprax for long term use?

Wednesday, 18 October 2006

Q. I am 70 years old and taking melatonin as an aid to sleep instead of alprax but it did not work. Hence I switched over to alprax again but it has some severe side effects like hang over, drowsiness and dullness. It happens if I take it continuously. Is there any way to overcome these effects or can you suggest any other sleeping aid without side effects?

A.  The reason that you cannot sleep without Alprax (alprazolam) is because you have become dependent and addicted to it. It will be in your own interest to stop using it; otherwise you may land up as a drug addict and suffer from unpleasant side effects. The long-term side effects of Alprax are: CNS disturbances including impaired alertness, low blood pressure, stomach upset, loss of memory, poor memory, coordination or attention. Dysarthria, imbalanced gait, joints pain, breathlessness, increased salivation, fits, tremors, impotence, sexual dysfunction etc. etc. You can try Zleep (zolpidem) 5-10 mg before going to bed as a short-term measure till your sleep pattern becomes normal.