How safe is the drug Estovon?

Wednesday, 11 October 2006

Q. I am taking Estovan for the last more than 2 years for pre-menopausal syndrome (PMS). Does it precipitate type 2 diabetes as other hormones/steroids do? If not, is it true that this has got a hypoglycaemic effect? What should be the dose I should take, considering my age is 43 and I am mildly obese, on anti-hypertensives for the last 6 months. One of my parents was detected to be diabetic last year.

A.  Estovan PE contains many ingredients such as calcium, phosphorus, isoflavones derived from plants etc. It is not an approved medicine. Its effects and side effects have not been reviewed by the Drugs Controller General, India (DCGI). Hence its benefit v/s risks have not been clinically studied. It is being advertised for menopause and menopausal osteoporosis. However its claims have not been independently verified.