How can I conceive with polycystic ovaries?

Wednesday, 30 August 2006

Q. I am 26 years old. I got married a year back. I have observed irregular periods from the past 4 months. I consulted a gynaecologist, who said that I have a cyst. She prescribed Novelon tablets for 4 months. As per the directions of the doctor I have used the above tablets for 4 months. I consulted the doctor again afterwards. She took a scan and said that I am suffering from bilateral PCOD. She said that it is not curable. But I am interested in conceiving. For that she prescribed B-long F tablets. How can I avoid this problem and how can I conceive?

A.  Polycystic Ovarian Disease/Syndrome (PCOD or PCOS) is rather common among Indian women. The disorder is usually characterised by irregular menstrual cycle, sometimes obesity, some times hirsutism (unwanted hair) and sometimes difficulty in conceiving. Treatment depends on the status of individual patients whether there is obesity, hirsutism etc and whether pregnancy is desired. You are not obese and I do not know if you have unwanted body hair (hirsutism). Since pregnancy is desired, the question of using Novelon - an oral contraceptive agent - does not arise. Of course if pregnancy was not desired, one needs to use an OC to regulate menstrual cycle. Several treatment options are available. Metformin (sold under the brand name of Glyciphage) improves fertility, so does clomiphene citrate (Ovipreg). The aim is to induce normal ovulation i.e. production of eggs. B-long F contains vitamin B-6 and folic acid. This is not indicated to induce ovulation and conception. You would certainly require folic acid in due course at a stage when ovulation is accomplished and conception is likely to occur. But at this stage, the treatment consists of conducting all required tests and instituting therapy for ovulation.