How is Lichen planus pigmentosus treated?

Monday, 17 July 2006
Answered by: Dr. Sanjeev Kandhari
Consultant Dermatologist,
Batra Hospital and Research Centre,

Q. I noticed black-gray patches on my temple and cheeks 4 months back. On consulting a dermatologist, I was told that I am suffering from Lichen planus pigmentosus (LPP). I was prescribed vitamin tables and Hydroclean cream and sun protection. But I found no difference. I contacted another skin specialist, who prescribed Vitamin A, C & some other tablets. Also, he gave me HQ & CHQ lotion to apply. Although, this cleared my face, it has not reduced the patches. He has now prescribed me for IPL technology, which will give me relief in 4-5 sittings. I am only 35 years old and I am really depressed because of this problem. Is there a permanent cure?

A.  Lichen planus pigmentosus (LPP) is a condition, which does take time for it to go. Hydroquinone coupled with vit. A tablets being prescribed to you do remain the main therapy. IPL is not very useful in this condition.