What is the level of normal pus cells in the urine?

Monday, 19 June 2006
Answered by: Dr. Ajay Sharma
Associate Consultant, Department of Urology,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I want to know what is the normal pus cells/ HPF in urine of males, females and pregnant women? I also want to know whether lemon is a urinary acidifier or alkaliser?

A.  In males the normal range is 5-8 and in females upto 10 per high power field (HPF). Pregnancy doesn't increase pus cells but the situation is taken more seriously. But medicine is not as easy as that. All investigations are to be interpreted in the background of patient's symptoms. Pus cells don't always mean infection. In theory, lemon is acidifier but can't be used clinically as it will be needed in large quantity