Why am I seeing flashes of light after being punched in the eye?

Wednesday, 10 May 2006
Answered by: Dr. Arun K. Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon,
London,
UK

Q. I was punched in my right eye 7 weeks ago, which resulted in a black eye. The swelling was gone but I feel that my right eye was pushed in. When I compare it with my other eye, it seems that my right eye is a little bit deep. I am also experiencing flashes of light in my right eye. I have consulted an eye specialist who told me that I have swelling in my retina. What is the cure for my problem?

A.  This should get better without any treatment. The fat in the orbit might have been damaged or you may have drooping of the eyelid called traumatic ptosis. The swelling in the retina would have affected your vision but if vision is not blurred then there is no swelling in the retina. Retina however needs to be examined carefully for any signs of tear in the retina, which may cause detachment and affect vision later.