Why does weight loss occur in diabetes?

Thursday, 04 May 2006
Answered by: Dr. Dinesh Dhanwal
Senior Consultant Endocrinologist,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. I am a type 2 diabetes patient for the past 10 years. I am 45 years old. I weigh 74 kg and I am 5 feet and 10 inches tall. My sugar level was in control for so many years. However, the level rose to 240 fasting and 245 PP. My Physician has increased the dose of Gemer1 to Gemer2 (two times). My cholesterol is in control. After the increase in my sugar levels, my weight has gone down. Why is it so? When my diabetes was first detected, I lost 7 kg. Please explain why this happens?

A.  Any patient of diabetes mellitus (DM), who has poor control of glucose, can have weight loss. This is due to the fact that in DM because of lack of insulin and its poor action, glucose is utilised by tissues and body fat, and proteins from muscles get converted to sugar so there is loss of body tissues. This is like melting of body tissues, which are passed through urine. It's important to control blood glucose levels Fasting 80-120 and PP <180 mg/dl.