Why do I get testicle pain if I don't have sex for a while?

Wednesday, 08 February 2006
Answered by: Dr. Rajan Bhonsle
Consulting Sex therapist & Counsellor,
Heart To Heart Counselling Centre
Mumbai

Q. I am 44 years old, married for the last 20 years. From the past few years I have been experiencing a problem. Whenever I don't have sex for 10 to 15 days at a stretch, my testicles swell up causing a lot of pain. This pain becomes unbearable when it starts and I have to literally sit with my legs tight across for the pain to subside. This pain also radiates to my lower back and groin. After this, once I have sex a couple of times the pain vanishes. I wonder if this is normal and happens with all males. Thus, I am curious to know about this and the possible remedies for this. Should I consult a doctor for this? Sometimes circumstances always do not allow regular sex. In such times the above stated problem troubles/pains me a lot. Please advise.

A.  The pain that you are classically experiencing after observing abstinence for 10-15 days is called as ‘Blue balls’. Blue balls is a condition very commonly experienced by all normal men. It is characterized by pain, discomfort and aching of the genitals typically after the sexual arousal. Though uncomfortable, it is not a disease nor is it dangerous or harmful. Blue balls results from the collection of blood, or vasocongestion in the genitals during sexual arousal. Blue balls occur when sexual arousal is not followed by ejaculation/orgasm because the pooled blood takes longer to leave the genitals when ejaculation does not occur. All of these could cause some discomfort and pain for the man, which can only be alleviated by orgasm/ejaculation. Orgasm relieves the buildup of pressure due to this pooling of blood. Masturbation to the point of orgasm is therefore the best and fastest way to alleviate blue balls.