Will I look like a female after a sex change operation?

Wednesday, 01 February 2006
Answered by: Dr. R.K. Khazanchi
Senior Consultant, Plastic Surgery,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am going for a sex change operation. Will I look like a female after the operation? The human skull is different in both the sexes. It's heavier in a man as compared to a female skull. Will the shape of my skull change after this? Will I look like a female after the operation or during hormonal treatment? Is this surgery enough to change the breasts or genitals?

A.  There won't be any major change in your facial features. If required plastic surgery can be done to bring about subtle changes. You will loose facial hair after starting hormone therapy. You will also require multiple operations for breast and genital reconstruction.