How can I get rid of my tongue sucking habit?

Tuesday, 13 December 2005
Answered by: Dr. Bela Jain
Consultant Orthodontist,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I am 20 years old. I have problem in my teeth. Since my childhood, I have a habit of sucking my tongue, like during milk feeding, when the tongue is slightly outside. I am not able to control this tongue sucking. Due to this, I have a big gap between my incisor and canine, both upper and lower teeth. I want them to be replaced in the normal position. What should I do?

A.  Your problem needs to be sorted out in 2 phases. 1. The tongue thrust/suck habit is stopped using a dental appliance. 2. The gaps in the teeth are closed by moving the teeth back to their original position. Age is not a problem. It can be done effectively thorugh orthodontics.