Is it advisable to use testosterone for growing facial hair?

Tuesday, 06 December 2005
Answered by: Dr. Dinesh Dhanwal
Senior Consultant Endocrinologist,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. I want to know if testosterone tablets could help in growing chest and facial hair that a normal man has. Kindly name the specific drug and its dosage because there is no endocrinologist in my state. I just want to give this a try. Also, is there any endocrinologist whom I can contact through e-mail, could you please help. I know its ok to have less hair and it in no way relates to my sexuality but it does relate to my sensuality. That is why I want to give it a try. These days testosterone tablets are being used for growing hair for women who want to change their sex. So I thought it could be far easier for a man to grow some more hair, if he wants especially when you have irregular & sparse facial and chest hair. Please help me as there is no one to consult here. Do I need to do any tests before drug intake?

A.  Issue is testosterone therapy for hair growth: Its not advisable to take testosterone without any scientific indication. Regarding your problem of hair growth its important that you undergo a detailed clinical and lab evaluation to decide whether you need testosterone or not. If you do not have endocrinologist in your state then at least you can meet a good physician who can assess you whether you need testosterone or not. Testosterone is given to a person who has deficiency of this hormone which can be assessed clinically by looking at pubic and facial hair, penile and testicular size, presence of libido, early morning erection etc followed by LH, FSH and testosterone levels in blood. If you can tell us the state you belong we can guide to you whom to meet.