Why are the veins of my hands so prominent?

Answered by: Dr. Shiban K. Chaku
Senior Consultant Surgeon,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. I have a terrible problem with my hands. When I keep my arms down, all my nerves become prominent. I can feel each nerve and they bulge even after I press them. Its quite embarrassing for me to have these nerves on my hands. What should I do?

A.  Reading the query I presume that when the person says nerves, he means veins. It is not unusual for the veins to be prominent when the hand is hanging down. I feel if there are no symptoms other than unsightly feeling then there is not a lot one can do. If there is any other problem then I suggest to consult your doctor or a vascular surgeon.