Will my partner be affected if I have brain tuberculoma?

Saturday, 10 September 2005
Answered by: Dr. S.K. Pandya
Neurosurgeon,
Jaslok Hospital & Research Centre,
Mumbai

Q. I am suffering from brain tuberculoma. Initially for a year, I didn't realise that I had this. I developed 9 lesions in my head. Recently after certain symptoms and a convulsion, I was diagnosed of this and the treatment is going on. My curiosity is for my partner, since we were intimate and close. I am worried if he might be infected with this. What are the chances of him acquiring it? What precautions does he need to take? He has not shown any signs till now.

A.  Tuberculoma of the brain is usually secondary to tuberculosis elsewhere in the body. The probability of your infecting your partner will arise only if you have communicable tuberculosis elsewhere in the body. The most common source of infection is from sputum, which contains the germs that cause tuberculosis. I suggest you check whether there is any tuberculosis in your lungs. If there is none, the chance of you infecting your partner is miniscule. If there be tuberculosis in your lungs, get your sputum examined for the germs. If there be no germs, once again, the chance of you infecting your partner is miniscule. If there be germs, you must be careful for you may infect your partner. Continue treatment till your sputum is free from these germs for at least 3 months.