What is the post operative care of surgery for vocal cord nodules?

Answered by: Dr. Ajit Harisinghani

Speech Foundation,
Pune

Q. Since the last couple of months, my wife has been facing a problem of voice hoarseness. Finally we consulted an ENT specialist and he diagnosed it as vocal cord nodules. He has advised for surgery for the removal of the nodule. I am little bit scared because it is very sensitive. Is there any other treatment other than surgery? What are the post surgery complications? What is the success rate for the vocal cord nodules surgery? Once the surgery performed, what are the chances that it will reappear again?

A.  An alternative to surgery to cure the vocal cord nodules depends upon size of nodules. An ENT surgeon is best qualified to make that judgement. The post surgery complications include: Voice may be temporarily or permanently affected. Again depends upon individual case. The success rate for the vocal cord nodules surgery is excellent. If care taken, they will not reappear. Speech therapist can guide in helping change vocal habits.