I missed the second dose of chicken pox vaccine, should I repeat the first dose?

Wednesday, 29 June 2005
Answered by: Dr. H.P.S. Sachdev
Professor and In-charge, Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Dept. of Pediatrics,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. I had planned to take chicken pox vaccine so I got one dose of the vaccine about 2 and a half months back. However, due to unavoidable circumstances I missed the second dose. My question is whether taking a second dose at this stage (after a gap of 2 and a half months) would help or I need to repeat the two doses again? I have asked a local doctor here in Pune and even he is not so sure about it. Could anybody please help me in this regard?

A.  The second dose at this stage will be fine; there is no need to repeat the two doses.