What is the cause of frequent muscle pulls?

Tuesday, 14 June 2005
Answered by: Dr. Sandeep Saluja
Senior Consultant in Medicine,
Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute,

Q. I often get a muscle pull on my right shoulder. When this happens I am unable to do anything with that hand. It happens for a fraction of a second two or three times a day. I don't have any major ailments. Please advise.

A.  One needs to understand your problem better. Is it just a freezing of the muscles - a cramp? Is it an abnormal involuntary movement? Cramps may occur for no apparent reason or be related to fall in serum calcium/magnesium. Abnormal movements like dystonia may also be due to variety of reasons and need a different treatment approach. In fact if the whole episode is so transient, it may not be worth treating it since the side effects of the medicines used would outweigh the advantages of treatment.