Why have my teeth become rough after using a whitening toothpaste?

Tuesday, 19 April 2005
Answered by: Dr. Mahesh Verma
Professor and Head, Department of Dental Surgery,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. When I brushed my teeth with a whitening toothpaste, the back of my front teeth released some kind of debris. After this my teeth never felt the same. The back part of the teeth feel dry and sandy and when I brush them, they become more dry. I have lost that smooth feeling, can this be treated?

A.  It seems the whitening tooth paste was coarsely abrasive and abraded your enamel or the hard deposits on the teeth have dislodged resulting in rough surface. Please get yourself examined and any experienced dentist can treat it effectively restoring it to right health and smoothness.