Do I need to bother about the upper pole cyst in the kidney?

Wednesday, 23 March 2005
Answered by: Dr. Vijay Kher
Consultant Nephrologist,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. I have been diagnosed with upper pole cyst in my left kidney. My doctor says its harmless. What needs to be done and whom to approach for treatment?

A.  A simple cyst in the kidney is a common occurrence and may not need any active intervention except to follow up with repeat ultrasound examination once in 6 months to 1 year. You probably have a simple cyst. An ultrasound examination of kidney or CT confirms the nature of the cyst (Simple or Complex). Complex cysts need further investigations like aspiration to look for any malignancy. You can see a urologist in your city.