Why is there pain in my calves even after ACL tear surgery?

Monday, 21 March 2005
Answered by: Dr. Hansa Kanuga
Consultant Physiotherapist,

Mumbai

Q. I had met with an accident 12 years back and had an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tear in my left knee. For the last 2 to 3 years, there is pain in the calf muscle of the left leg. I consulted a doctor who advised me to get surgery done and fix the ACL tear. I underwent the surgery 8 months back but even today the pain in my calf muscle has not reduced. When I go to the doctors they don't have a correct answer and after a few days of physiotherepy they conclude that it is a just a phantom pain. I also believed them, but there is no relief in the pain. I am finding it very difficult to live with this pain. Can you please tell me how to get rid of this pain?

A.  I suggest you do a little more of physiotherapy till your knee joint is stable. A general knee rehabilitation program which includes strengthening exercises, flexibility exercises, aerobic conditioning, technique refinement and biofeedback training is the most important factor in improving your knee function and stability. You can use an ACL knee brace till your knee function improves. Once your knee function improves, you will positively get rid of the pain you are suffering from.