Can I bear a healthy child after tubal ligation?

Friday, 18 March 2005
Answered by: Dr. Anuj Sharma
Faculty member, Department of Family Medicine,
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill,
USA

Q. What are the chances of getting pregnant after a tubal ligation and giving birth to a healthy baby without tubal reversal?

A.  It depends upon what exactly was done. There is a very small chance that the tubes after being cut can rejoin and result in pregnancy. I have delivered a healthy baby for a mom who had her tubes tied ten years previously. She had clips place versus cut and burn. The more common scenario after a tubal ligation is a tubal pregnancy. Tubal pregnancies can be very dangerous for the mother, and usually are not viable. If you have missed a period, please get a pregnancy test done. If positive, see a gynaecologist for an immediate ultrasound to find out if the location of the pregnancy. Like I said earlier, tubal pregnancies can be very dangerous for the mother and can be fatal.