How long is the recovery period for a anal fissure surgery?

Answered by: Dr. Suneet Sood
Consultant Surgeon,
Metro Multispecialty Hospital,
NOIDA, UP

Q. I had anal dilatation done two weeks ago for my anal fissure. Today is the 15th day post-anal dilatation. Can you tell me what is the healing time and or complete recovery period for this treatment procedure? After how many days a person is expected to become normal? Also, can I exercise?

A.  The healing time for this is about 2-3 weeks. You may be slightly sore. Perfect recovery, as if the fissure never was will take about 6 weeks. Jogging and yoga you can do but cycling may hurt you at present, though it will not affect healing. After healing you can cycle all you want. The precaution to take is to avoid constipation.