How can I increase the amniotic fluid?

Monday, 14 March 2005
Answered by: Dr. Anuj Sharma
Faculty member, Department of Family Medicine,
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill,
USA

Q. I am in the eight month of pregnancy. I got an ultrasound done, my doctor said that the amount of fluid is sufficient but it is less than required at the time of labour. I am taking plenty of water and liquids. What else should I do in order to increase the fluid? Which protein rich diets can help me?

A.  You are doing the right thing by increasing your fluid intake. So continue drinking at least 8 glasses (8 oz) of water/liquids. Avoid caffeinated products. Protein rich foods are all daals, eggs, meats, and nuts. Milk also has protein. I do not know if you are a vegetarian, but either way you can increase your protein intake my increasing the foods from the protein rich group. Please continue to see your doctor to keep up with the amniotic fluid status.