What is the cause of frequent urination in spite of normal sugar levels?

Thursday, 17 February 2005
Answered by: Dr. (Col.) Surender Kumar
Senior Consultant & Head, Department of Endocrinology & Metabolism,
Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,

Q. I have lost 10 kg in the past 3 months. I was detected to have Type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM), 3 months ago. I am not under any medication, as the physician prescribed only diet and exercise and daily monitoring of sugar levels are below 100 (F) and 140(PP). However, for the past 3 months, I have been urinating 8-10 times a day even though my glucose levels are under control as confirmed by lab reports. My HbA1c is 5.2. I don't have UTI and all my urine related tests are normal including ultrasound & CT scan and creatinine is 0.8. Before the detection of DM, I was not urinating so much though my sugar levels were 210. What are the causes for abnormal urination and loss of weight? My urine and serum osmolality levels are 490 and 297 respectively.

A.  Continue with life-style modifications for control of diabetes. If your weight does not improve in a months time, then get an X-ray chest and T3, T4, TSH (thyroid tests) done. If these tests are normal, then improve your diet. For increased urination (if blood sugar is normal and urine - RE is normal) then try to reduce fluid intake to around 2000 ml per day.