Can the MMR vaccination have any adverse effects on the fetus?

Saturday, 12 February 2005
Answered by: Dr. H.P.S. Sachdev
Professor and In-charge, Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Dept. of Pediatrics,
Maulana Azad Medical College,

Q. I am 3 months pregnant. When I came to USA I took the MMR vaccination. After one month of the vaccination, I got pregnant. Now I want to know if the vaccination have any adverse effects on the fetus? If yes, what are the side effects? Can these be prevented?

A.  MMR vaccination is contraindicated during pregnancy for fear of affecting the fetus. If you have got pregnant within 15 days, vaccination could theoretically have an effect on the fetus. Thus the crucial issue is when you actually got pregnant. It would be best to discuss this fact with your Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and do ultrasound and other serological tests. Nothing is required at this stage to decrease the risk. If the pregnancy has actually occurred after one month, the risk is likely to be very little or none.