Why do I see things smaller from my right eye than the left one?

Sunday, 10 July 2011
Answered by: Dr Arun Mishra
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, UK

Q. I am a 19 years old male and my left eye power is -0.25 spherical and -1.25 cylindrical 180 degree axis, 6/6p. My right eye power is -4.5 spherical, -1.0 cylindrical 15 degree axis, 6/6p. When I see to any source of light, it seems me to dull from right eye as compared to left eye. Also in very dim light I am not able to recognise things from right eye, but from left eye I am able to recognise. Why does it happen?

A.  Because of the difference of power, the image of the things you see from the right eye is smaller on the retina as compared to left eye. This is like looking through a normal camera lens with the left eye and a very wide angle lens through right eye. This problem will be solved if you wear contact lenses in both eyes.