Should I continue taking Liv52 and Hepamerz?

Friday, 01 July 2011
Answered by: Dr Sanjiv Saigal
Consultant Gastroenterologist,Sir Ganga Ram Hospital,New Delhi

Q. I am a 33 years old man who recently suffered from jaundice, which was diagnosed one and a half months back with a raised serum-bilirubin of 2.5 mg/dl. The doctor suggested these medicines- Hepamerz twice a day, Liv52 twice a day and lots of glucose with water. After 15 days of taking these medicines, I repeated the test, which came normal (serum-bilirubin was 0.68 mg/dl and SGPT was 44 u/L). After that, doctor reduced Hepamerz to once at night. Around 15 days back, I again repeated the r tests, which showed serum bilirubin - 0.68 mg/dl and SGPT – 55 u/L. I consulted another doctor who told me to stop the medicines. I am experiencing nausea and heaviness in gall-bladder region after stopping the medicines. Recently I am taking Liv52 twice and glucose every four hours.

A.  I note from your case details that you recently had jaundice. The serum bilirubin was 2.5 mg/dl which subsequently has become normal. Also the SGPT is 55 u/L. This does not appear to be of major concern; however my suggestions are -
  1. Get HbsAg, anti HCV done.
  2. Get Ultra Sound upper abdomen done.
  3. There is no clear role of taking medicines like Hepamerz or Live-52 for this. Also, there is absolutely no need to take glucose every 4 hours. In-fact you should take a light normal diet which you can digest easily. It is a myth that one should stop all oily food in presence of liver problems. Adding some oil in cooking which makes the food more palatable is absolutely fine.

1. Get HbsAg, anti HCV done.
  2. Get Ultra Sound upper abdomen done.