What is wrong with my skin?

Wednesday, 18 May 2011
Answered by: Prof Jayakar Thomas
Senior Consultant Dermatologist, Kanchi Kamakoti Child Trust Hospital, Chennai

Q. I am a 58 years old man who has noticed a rash with bulges about 2 inches on my inner thigh on both sides about an inch away from joints of the groin. I am using Quadriderm RF cream for the last three days, but problem persists. Is it due to the summer heat or is it linked to any other disease?

A.  Ffrom your description, it appears that you have dermatitis called frictional dermatitis. There are many factors that cause this. 1. Heat, causing maceration 2. Sweating, causing infection, and 3. Bulky thighs, causing friction by rubbing againsy each other. It is recommended that you wear loose cotton briefs. Actually cotton shorts will help. Try and keep yourself in a cool environment. Avoid scratching the area. Use a mild lubricant like coconut oil.