How long should I wait before going to gym after hurting my back?

Thursday, 09 December 2004
Answered by: Dr. Hansa Kanuga
Consultant Physiotherapist,

Mumbai

Q. I fell down in the bathroom six months back and hurt my spinal cord. My spine landed right on a step in the bathroom. There was no fracture but now I feel absolutely fine. There is no pain. Can you please tell me how long should I wait to go to gym? What should be the minimum period of rest? Can I continue to do weight training?

A.  You can go back to the gym. Just take a few precautions. 1. Start with only the upper body work-outs for first two to three weeks. 2. First try walks for half an hour or swimming before starting lower limb exercises. 3. Exercises like straight leg raising should be done with extreme caution as this puts a lot of strain on the lumbar region. 4. Stop immediately if any exercises give you extra pain. 5. Exercises in long sitting position should also be done with caution.