Is angiography a painful procedure?

Monday, 22 November 2004
Answered by: Dr. O.P. Yadava
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon,
Dharma Vira Heart Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. A doctor has advised me for an angiography. I had a subdural haematoma seven months ago. I may be having my periods during the angiography (DSA). Is it ok? Will it be painful? Can I request the doc to insert the catheter in the armpit instead of the groin region to avoid discomfort? Please advise.

A.  Angiography is not at all a painful procedure and under normal circumstances, one should not get pain any more than what one gets in a simple blood test. The site for insertion of the needle is decided essentially by the person performing the angiography and both the radial and the groin route can be taken depending upon the personal preference and the familiarity of the angiographer.