For hernia surgery what is better: general or local anaesthesia?

Answered by: Dr. N. Ananthakrishnan
Head of Department of Surgery,
JIPMER,
Pondicherry

Q. My Dad is 69 years old and has a heart problem as well as a lung problem. Recently he was detected with a hernia in the groin area. The surgeon advised for surgery under general anaesthesia. Considering all the ailments that my father has, do you suggest he should go in for a hernia surgery under GA or under local anaesthesia given in the spine? Shall we go in for laparoscopic hernia repair? What do you suggest?

A.  Considering that your father has other medical problems the simplest procedure would be a hernia repair under local anaesthesia with the anaesthetic agent injected at the site of operation. Alternately a regional anaesthesia with the agent injected into the back may also be chosen. Laparoscopic repair is better avoided since it would require general anaesthesia.