Can I continue taking metformin (Glycomet)?

Tuesday, 14 June 2011
Answered by: Prof Shalini Rajaram
Professor, Dept. of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, UCMS & GTB Hospital, New Delhi

Q. I am a 27 year old female got married two years back and now planning for pregnancy. I am hypertensive and taking methyldopa. I am also taking metformin as my triglycerides count is high. Can I continue taking metformin (Glycomet)? My doctor asked me to do a scan for polycystic ovaries on the 2nd or 3rd day of my period. She said if there are polycystic ovaries then she would suggest me to continue taking Glycomet. Please suggest.

A.  The dose of Glycomet you are taking is not sufficient for PCOS. I suggest you consult an infertility specialist and confirm the diagnosis of PCOS which is done on the basis of a day 2 scan and clinical criteria such as prolonged cycles or evidence of acne or excessive growth of facial or body hair or on the basis of some hormone tests.