Does my child have umbilical hernia?

Tuesday, 26 October 2004
Answered by: Dr. Vidya Gupta
Consultant Paediatrician & Neonatologist,
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals,

Q. My problem is related to the umbilical cord of my 2 months old son. His umbilical cord has fallen off but the area has become like a balloon and is filled with air. We spoke to our doctors who told us that there is nothing to worry about, it will become normal in a year or so. We are very much concerned about it? Kindly tell us, is this going to affect the health of our baby?

A.  This appears to be an umbilical hernia that you describe. This is not an uncommon occurence in the 1st year of life. Umbilical hernia is a protrusion at the umbilicus and contains within the sac intestines which are filled with air. The hernia almost invariably regresses with age and usually resolves completely by the time the child is 1-2 years of age. The only source of worry may be if it obstructs suddenly. Please ask your doctor to show you how to check for obstruction.