What is concentric left ventricular hypertrophy?

Tuesday, 12 October 2004
Answered by: Dr. O.P. Yadava
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon,
Dharma Vira Heart Centre, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital

Q. What is Concentric left ventricular hypertrophy? I was feeling discomfort and breathlessness after meals and consulted a doctor. He asked for an echocardiogram and lipid profile etc. All tests are within normal range but T4 is a little higher than normal and echocardiogram shows concentric left ventricular hypertrophy. Please advise what are the dos and don'ts?

A.  Hypertrophy in medical terms means enlargement of the size and concentric means all round. In terms of heart, concentric LV hypertrophy means that the muscle of the left sided pumping chamber of the heart has increased in size and thickness. This usually occurs because of either high blood pressure or any obstruction to the outflow of blood from the left heart. Commonest example of latter is narrowing of the valve (aortic valve). I suppose only your doctor can tell you as to the real reason of this LV hypertrophy. Remedial measures can only be taken once you know the cause of LV hypertrophy.