Is low sperm count linked to infection / pus cells?

Friday, 20 May 2011
Answered by: Dr Ranjith Ramasamy
Clinical Associate in Urology, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Cornell University, USA

Q. I am a 35 years old male who underwent semen analysis, which showed 8-10 % pus cells and sperm count of 1 million/ml. The doctor told me that there is an infection because of which, my sperm count is very low. He prescribed an antibiotic to reduce the infection. Is low sperm count linked to infection / pus cells?

A.  Pus cells in the semen can indicate an infection in the genital / urinary tract. Treatment with antibiotics is appropriate though a count of 1 million can indicate low production. You should be checked for a varicocoele with a physical exam. Also depending on the age of your wife (if older than 33 years), you should start thinking about IVF as a potential treatment to father your own child.